About Half A Billion People had Herpes Infection-The facts are showing
In 2016, Almost 491.5 million people have HSV-2 Infection or Genital Herpes worldwide. An estimated 3.7 billion people had HSV-1 Infection. Also, People with Herpes Infection have 3 times more possibility to get HIV infection
Herpes Simplex Virus or HSV is the main cause of Infection. It may be HSV-1 (Type 1 or Oral Herpes) and HSV-2 (Type 2 or Genital Herpes). Herpes infection affects the external private parts like Genitalia, anal, and skin in other parts of the body.
No vaccine is available yet that can cure Herpes. So Some precautions can help to prevent spreading if follow properly. But some medication and home remedies give some relief from Herpes infection. With unawareness of Herpes, in resultant millions of people infected with the virus every year. In this, Mostly People are between the 15-49 age group, one of the main reasons is unprotected physical relations of them. Delay or not get Testing for Herpes
“Herpes infection affects millions of people across the globe and can have far-reaching health effects. We need more investment and commitment to developing better treatment and prevention tools for this infection,” says Dr. Sami Gottlieb, Medical Officer at WHO and an author of the study.
Recently Who published that About half a billion people had Herpes Infection.
The new study estimates the global infection prevalence and incidence of herpes simplex virus types 1 and 2 (HSV-1 and HSV-2) in 2016. Authored by staff at the University of Bristol, WHO, and Weill Cornell Medical College-Qatar.
Some Fact about Herpes Infection according to 2016 Study :
1. Almost 491.5 million people have HSV-2 Infection or Genital Herpes worldwide. HSV-2 is transmitted during sexual contact mainly, therefore Virus effected mostly genital and anal area.
2. In 2016, it is estimated that 3.7 billion people had HSV-1 Infection. It is close to around 66.6% of the world’s population of the 0-49 age group. HSV-1 or Oral infection transmitted by oral contact, so symptoms can be seen in or around the mouth. However, HSV-1 is found also near the genital area that is transmitted by oral sex. So it is assumed that between 122 million to 192 million people have got the Genital HSV-1.
3. Herpes has no cure yet, so the infection truss whole life. So prevalence increase with age. Among the women, HSV-2 prevalence is higher in the African Region According to the study.
4. Approx. 187 Million people mean 5% of the world population, who have been suffered herpes related genital ulcer disease in 2016 at least one time. (WHO and partners published a study in March 2020)
5. Neonatal herpes when an infant is exposed to HSV in the genital tract during delivery. It happens with approximately 10 births out of 100,000 in the world. But Neonatal herpes can become the reason of death or long term neurological disability.
The fact of Herpes and HIV Relation
A strong relation exists between HSV-2 infection and HIV infection. In 2016, HSV-2 contribute approximately 30% in total of newly affected HIV infection worldwide. WHO has commissioned a modeling study to estimate in 2019 for.
People with HSV-2 have 3 times more possibility to get HIV infection. People, who have both HIV as well as HSV-2, can be more suffered from Herpes Symptoms.
Read Also: How We Can Prevent STDs
What do to control Herpes infection?
Of course, no cure for Herpes. But some antiviral medications can be helpful in reducing frequent symptoms. Commonly used medicines are acyclovir, famciclovir, and valacyclovir.
Awareness about HSV Symptoms and Herpes Infection can contribute to preventing spreading. As well It more needs to follow HIV prevention for those people, Who have HSV symptoms.
Some people do not experience the Herpes Symptoms or they ignore on initial stage because of a lack of knowledge. But Testing for Herpes is important for sexually active people. If Herpes infection finds on the initial stage, it can be treated with antiviral medicine. in addition, It also helps to prevent further spreading.
- A massive proportion of the world’s population is living with the herpes infection, Published on 1st May 2020: Link